Looking for Something?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chicken Poo Power

I once lived in a town that was run by hydroelectric power. I've seen cars that run on electric power. My friend at work has a charger for his Iphone that runs on solar power. My kids watch a cartoon that has lots of puppy power. I have done seen a lot of things but I've never seen a town that is run on chicken poo power.....until today.

Take a look at this article from the BBC website about a city in the UK that is run on chicken poo power. According to the article two farmers invested in a biogas plant will take chicken litter, pig manure, wheat and corn and generate enough electricity to power 350 homes.

I am a big fan of chickens and I am pleased with how much the chickens we have had reduce our waste. However, I have never thought about using their waste to produce electricity. I like the idea though. Let us raise our glasses to chicken poop, may it continue to warm our homes, and our lives.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

The City of San Francisco was contemplating using animal waste, primarily from cats and dogs, to create electricity. I thought it was a fantastic idea, but it never came to fruition.

Cindy said...

Amazing. My chickens are busy with their current job of sod removal. In a few weeks they'll be moved to their new job, "tilling and fertilizing next year's vegetable garden". Gotta love chickens!

Cindy

Visit my chickens at:
http://wheatlessfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/10/half-cow.html

and at:
http://sidetrackedartist.blogspot.com/2010/05/chasing-chickens.html

Kait Palmer said...

That is just plain awesome.

Conny said...

Very interesting. And I've been wondering lately, if I can use our chicken poop to make a liquid fertilizer - there's got to be a way, I just haven't researched it yet. :>)

Unknown said...

Conny, if you do find out about it...let us know!