Looking for Something?

Monday, September 21, 2009

Question from a Reader- Turkeys

One of our readers, Patricia, had a question about her turkeys. I personally couldn't answer her question and thought that I would open it up to all of our knowledgeable readers. Leave a comment if you have any insight to her problem.

Hello,

I wonder if you have had the problem of your male turkeys (2 and one naked neck rooster) fighting it out like machos in a bar? It's distressing, and they just started it. I have considered clipping the upper beak, which seems cruel, but not as cruel as what they're doing! I had three guineas in the pen who were also adding to the problem, but I separated them. Unfortunately, I can't let them free range here because each time I let them out, I lose two to coyotes or bobcats (haven't seen the predator, but have seen the missing chickens),

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Patricia

1 comment:

Dale Johnson said...

I have always enjoyed seeing my toms try to out strut, hiss, and gobble at each other but I have never seen them attack each other. If yours are young, they may grow out of it. I don't see any problem in clipping their beaks.

Thanks for hearing about your experience.