Looking for Something?

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Hen Den

A few months ago, we bought a chicken coop from some neighbors that are moving. We had priced out building our own chicken coop, but realized for the size we wanted, it was out of our budget.  So we were super excited when we found out our neighbors were selling theirs for such a great price. It isn't the cutest, but the price was right.
I knew that I wanted a red chicken coop, so off to Home Depot I went. I was in search of THE perfect barn red.  If you have ever painted anything red, you know what a nightmare it can be. Getting a red that isn't too orange, too pink, too light, or too dark is hard. As I walked into the paint section, I spotted it from across the counter, and when I pulled the paint chip and it said "barn" I knew it was fate telling me, that was THE perfect barn red.  Martha Steward really know her colors!
I have a few other things that I want to do to it, like add some trim around the door. Eventually the goats will be fenced in with the girls, so I want to add a little doggie door so the girls can go in and out as the please, but the goats will stay out. 
 The run is back behind the coop.

Don't you just love tail feathers blowing in the wind?

 My favorite, Basil.

Do you have any coop design ideas for me?


~marisa




12 comments:

Unknown said...

So Cute! I love the stars!

I have seen chicken coops designed to look like Gypsy Wagons and I thought those were adorable ;)

Maybe, since your coop is red and you have stars on it, hang or paint an American flag on it? Maybe one of the older versions of the flag? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Basil is SUCH a cute name. The coop is looking great and I just knew you'd say the Martha paint because it really is the best red! We just added Gertrude, Dorothy and Harriet to our Mabel, Maude and Ethel.

Mona @ Healthy Homesteading said...

One of the photos looks like you have a spotted chicken. I had to look at it closer. Would that be cool if there was such a thing? Lol!

We don't have any "real" coops. We have all of our 38 adult chickens in two separate chain link dog cages. Since funds are limited we are using free shipping pallets to design some coops.

Cindy said...

Love the red! Great pic of Basil, too.

The Wonderful World of Wampler said...

I love that you put stars on the side of the coop. Way CUTE!!!

My husband and Dad made us a pretty awesome coop...and it is even BARN RED with white trim :) Check out my blog I have pictures of it. Let me know what you think.
www.leahbug101.blogspot.com

Hope you have a good day.

ps. Your chickens are really pretty!!
-Leah

Proverbs Thirty One Woman said...

I think you're off to a great start!

Mary said...

We painted our coop the exact same 'barn' red, and I have to agree with you, Martha does know her colors. I also love the white trim you added to the coop. The flock looks great.

daisy g said...

Love the new color!

Uh, a sunroof, perhaps?;0)

megan said...

I DO love hen's tail feathers blowing in the wind! And it looks really good - now I need to figure out my own "wood" colored coop!

Gentleliving7 said...

Mine is also barn red. I just love it. it looks like a wagon. You can check it out on my blog.
I really like yours alot , especially with the new colors. And I do adore chickens.

Be blessed!

Heidi Monuteaux said...

What a wonderful transformation and adorable hen house!!

My husband is working on constructing our hen house. I'm headed to the Home Depot for a gallon (or two) of "barn" when he's through.

Valerie said...

Now all you need is some gutters and a rain barrel for collecting rain water. Just kidding, I've been reading up on rain water collecting and every building we have will be getting gutters and a rain barrel for watering livestock and the garden. I must agree the paint did wonders to improve the look of it.