Looking for Something?

Saturday, June 25, 2011

“Growth Ponzi Scheme”; the death of sustainability

I would like all 800 of our followers to read a 5 part series of articles. You can access part 1 at:

You can then access each successive part by clicking right above the title of each article. 

READ ALL FIVE PARTS - PLEASE! 

You may ask what this has to do with backyard farming. I think most of our readers are familiar with the term “sustainability” which we use frequently in backyard farming. These articles encapsulate our most fundamental problems related to sustainability, not just sustainability of food production, but sustainability of the economy. I also believe that most backyard farmers are rational, industrious, and productive people – you produce food after getting home from work instead of watch stupid sitcoms, mindlessly surf the web, or endlessly Facebook network. As such, I believe backyard farmers are an example of a rational personal response that the author of the articles did not suggest. That rational response is personal preparedness – improving personal productivity, getting out of debt, and increasing self sufficiency. This is not a solution to the “slow-motion car wreck” described by the authors but it is a way to cope with it. 


3 comments:

David said...

Uncle Dale, Charles Marohn's article explains what's happening in our economy very clearly. In my humble opinion things will have to financially reset so to speak. Whether we like it or not lifestyles will have to change. Those that begin on a journey to change their lifestyle from one of consumption to one of sustainability will get through the reset in much better shape than those that don't prepare. For me that means developing relationships with my neighbors to be able to pull together when needs arise. It also means that an ever expanding garden plan for the backyard can not only help feed me but supplement the neighbors as well. I'm not sure that I'll be debit free by the time the reset occurs but I'm working toward that. I'm learning skills that will be helpful for times when I can not afford to have repairs done for me and to be able to be helpful to others that will not be able to afford repairs. If those times are far off and not too near the path that I've chosen to follow is still a good one with less worries and stress.

It just feels right to be prepared for any kind of disaster. Our threat here in my area is flooding which will continue through the summer months and maybe into the fall. For what ever reason the flood gates of the water control dams on the Missouri have to let out record amounts of water flow to keep the dams within safety parameters. Much farm land and homes near the rivers that have never been threatened before will be flooded this year. Add to that the fires, tornadoes, and drought areas which will all be extra financial drain on the economy as well. These disasters will only accelerate the demise of our financial downfall.

Thank you so much for directing us to such a sound well explained set of articles to help us prepare for the inevitable.

Maggie said...

Well that was depressing. But I appreciate how you continued where he left off.

And while the author, who I think is right in most of what he said, offered little to no hope for economic recovery, I'd like to believe that there are things that we as citizens and families can do - if not to repair the economy, then to strengthen our homes and communities against the fall out.

We can be responsible stewards of our resources, avoid debt, strive to be self sufficient and look out for our neighbors.

While there is much uncertainty in our nation's future, I remain hopeful not because "we always find a way" but because I see people all around me who are making a conscious effort to right the ills of society and lift up the down trodden. Our nation is filled with clever, hard working and loving people. And in them, lie our strength.

MAYBELLINE said...

"Sustainability" is one catch phrase/word that drives me mad. I will, however, read what you have suggested as soon as I finish weeding this evening.