Looking for Something?

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ham

Michael and I acquired a ham during the Christmas season, it got tucked away in the freezer until this week when I needed the extra freezer space. It is very rare for us to eat ham, and I was pleasantly surprised with all the meals we were able to come up with to use the ham. 

Ham and eggs for breakfast
Ham sandwiches for lunch
Ham and potatoes for dinner

When all the ham was gone, I was able to make a soup with the ham bone.

I covered the ham bone with 3 quarts water
and boiled it for 30 minutes.

While it was boiling, I chopped some carrots, 1 onion, and a few stalks of celery,

I threw the veggies in the pot along with 2 bouillon cubes, 3 bay leaves, salt, pepper,  and 1 large can of chopped tomatoes (including the juice)

I let that simmer for 2 hours and the last 10 minutes I threw in a handful of macaroni. 
I removed the ham bone and cut any remaining meat from it and put it in the soup.

It was delicious!
I think I may need to get some little piggies.

What do you do with a ham?

~marisa

6 comments:

MAYBELLINE said...

BBQ (w/ wood - no gas) my hams to make them extra smokey. Just before I remove it from the grill I glaze it with pomegranate jelly melted down and some Port wine splashed in. That makes a mighty tasty glaze. The bone is then stashed in the freezer to use when I cook my Borlotto Solista beans after the summer harvest.

Ham truly makes the magical fruit even more magical.

Jenn Gomez said...

I heat my ham in the slowcooker with apple cider. Makes it super tender and slightly sweet! Yum!

Lollie said...

We were given a ham too. I roasted it first. Ate as much as we could. All the left overs and ham bone went into a soup pot the next day. :)

Unknown said...

Mmm....

daisy g said...

We don't eat ham, but those veggies alone look yummy! ;0)

Abigail said...

yumm