Looking for Something?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Of Pasture Walks and Garden Walks – Part 2

By uncle Dale


Our agrarian culture is long gone. Or is it? There are over 700 people following this blog. There are tens of thousands who want to reconnect with their food sources. We can bring our agrarian culture back – right into our towns and cities. Here is how to do it in 2 steps.

Step 1. Grow food this year. It is early May and a perfect time for planting seeds or transplants. Anyone can do this – in your window, on your terrace, in your backyard, in your front yard, in that vacant lot down the street. Become a farmer now! When people ask what you do, you will say “I am a school teacher and I am a farmer” or “I am an office worker and I am a farmer” or “I am a _______________ and I am a farmer” You fill in the blank with whatever your do and then tell them how you farm. 

Step 2. Join with other backyard farmers and conduct garden walks. Read my article on pasture walks to understand what I am talking about.  Take turns going to each other’s gardens. Start with prayer to thank Heavenly Father for our sun, rain, and soil to grow food. Then walk your garden and explain your farming methods to your fellow backyard farmers. Answer their questions. Ask for their suggestions. Really pick each other’s brains on how to improve production. Share seeds and produce. End the garden walk with a wonderful dinner made in your own kitchen created from your garden produce. If you need recipes for your garden produce then click here

Let’s bring back our agrarian culture and values into our homes, towns, and cities. 


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I'm starting to feel a bit alienated here. Am I allowed to be a farmer and an atheist? Does a garden walk really require a prayer? Is this a backyard farming blog or a religion blog?

Jacob David said...

I found this site when I was looking for help with growing tomatoes. I only wanted them because I liked how my mother's home grown tomatoes tasted. Soon, I planted some bell peppers, then onions, now I have begun my indoor herb garden with basil. We rent, so we have very little space but this blog has managed to open my eyes to so many things. I look forward to having a house for new reasons, and I can't wait to live closer to a farmers market. The peace that I find in my garden has even helped my marriage. My wife tells me all the time how much easier I am to get along with. I am a very motivated person, but my little garden teaches me patience and forces me to slow down. So, Dale, Marisa, Michael, and other contributors, I want to thank you for playing your part in opening my eyes to something new and incredibly pleasant. Not to mention its usefulness in both my own and my wife's agrarian education.

-Sydney- said...

Regardless of whether or not you believe in a Deity, I think we can all be grateful for the bounty the earth provides us. If not a prayer, than a heart filled with sincere gratitude and thanksgiving would suffice ;)

Unknown said...

Anonymous, ditto Sydney.

Jacob David, thank you so much for your sweet thoughts. I wish you the best of luck!

Sydney, I couldn't have said it better. Thank you!

Zucchinimom said...

To anonymous who first commented: the freedom you have of being an atheist is the same freedom we all have in our own religions. Embrace each others differences and start your own blog to state your own views. I appreciate this blog and hope you continue to enjoy it as well.

Dale Johnson said...

Is there any athiests out there who can tell me how to get rid of brown marmorated stink bugs because my prayers aren't workinig!

Dale Johnson said...

Anonymous,

I sincerely appreciate your comment. I will try to minimize my religous remarks, although I will not completely eliminate them.

Anonymous said...

I am doing my best to encourage friends and family to grow their own food. I've even converted a few new people to chicken keeping. Keep up the great work and the great posts. P.S. I'm not religious but I appreciate the freedom to express all opinions.