Looking for Something?

Monday, May 3, 2010

Big Beautiful Buns

Marisa Johnson
Just move along if you read the title and came for a different reason! 

This post is about big, beautiful hamburger buns. 
And here is how to make them. 

Just be forewarned, once you make these, you won't want to go back to store bought.

This is one of the easiest white bread recipes ever and I always have all the ingredients on hand. I also use this recipe to make 2 loaves of french bread or regular rolls.

(you can use any bread recipe to make buns)

Easy White Bread

2 packs of yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup warm water (for yeast mixture)
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS salt
5 TBS oil
5-6 cups flour

Directions:
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, sprinkle a little sugar and swirl to mix it in. Let it stand until foamy. Combine 2 cups water with sugar, oil, salt,  and 3 cups flour. Stir well. Add yeast and rest of flour, mix well. Let stand for 10 mins. mix for 1 min. Let it stand and mix for 1 min. 4 times total. 

At this point your dough is ready to make french bread, buns, or rolls. 

For buns, I like to make sure they are consistent in size, so I use a food scale. For a nice large bun, I portion 3.5 oz balls of dough. Form into a nice ball as if you were making rolls and place on a baking sheet. 
Now comes the fun part. 
Smash the rolls down with the palm of your hand. 
They may spring back up, so wait a few mins. then smash them again, it took 3-4 times on each bun to flatten them out.
Let them rise for about an hour. 
Notice the cute little hand prints on the buns, that is why you want to use the palm of your hand.
Don't worry, when the dough rises, it gets rid of any hand marks.

Before setting out to raise, dust with flour and cover with plastic wrap.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins. This recipe can make about 18 buns.

12 comments:

Zachary and Jennifer said...

Neat recipe! I want to try it.

So when do you add the salt? Did you use a mixer or mix by hand?

About how how did you let them rise before baking?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a cooking noob and don't always know the fundamentals. :-)

Thanks, Jennifer

Laura @ Getting There said...

I think I'll try this next time we make hamburgers, thanks! I do have a recipe I use already but it's different (uses eggs and butter), so I'd like to try this one and see which we like better.

Unknown said...

I forgot to write salt in the directions, you add it when you add the oil and sugar. Thanks for catching that!

I have a mixer, so I use my kitchenaid, but before I had one, I mixed by hand.

I let them rise for an hour.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dale Johnson said...

Marisa,

I wish we would have had your bun recipe on Saturday night. We came in after a long day in the garden with lettuce and onions that we were just craving to put on grilled hamburgers but we didn't have any hamburger buns.

Your recipes are always terrific!

Dale

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

These look so good! This is a recipe I will for sure have to try. Thanks so much! Looks like you have a great helper too!

m. said...

what do you change when you make french bread? any extra steps? they look so much prettier than my buns!

Unknown said...

m.

To make it french bread, I cut the dough into two portions so you will have 2 loaves, I then roll it out into a large rectangle. I roll it up, almost like you make a cinnamon roll, but tuck in the ends so it is pretty. Brush the top with egg whites and let rise for about an hour. Bake for 20-25 mins.

m. said...

thank you! i m making it today. looks like an easy, yummy recipe!

Day in the life of A Parmentier said...

I completely forgot about this post last night! I ended up making some buns that were more like shotputs than these big beautiful buns! I will definitely be trying these next time!

Unknown said...

Parmentier,

That made me laugh. Sorry yours didn't work out. If you do try this recipe, let me know how it goes.

BTol said...

I've got some big beautiful buns for you!

Emily said...

these were amazing! Thank you, thank you for the great recipe. My daughter has an allergy to dairy and eggs and it has been such a challenge finding a great hamburger bun recipe that is egg free. These were perfect!