Looking for Something?

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

We Are Sowing


We are sowing, daily sowing
Countless seeds of good and ill ...

Seeds that lie unchanged, unquickened,
Lifeless on the teeming mold;
Seeds that live and grow and flourish
When the sower's hand is cold.

selected passages of the poem "Pure Diamonds," anonymous

When my 8-year-old daughter giggled with confusion that we were planting bulbs in November -- a time, she pointed out, that's really the harvest -- I was again glad that gardening provides a unique classroom for so many life lessons. You reap what you sow. We won't have tulips in spring unless we plant bulbs now, I explained. Though you may not see the outcome for many years, dear girl, the choices you make now will affect the rest of your life.

This Thanksgiving I'm grateful for new insight into the law of the harvest. I'm thankful to know that If I keep sowing, even when my hand is cold or my heart troubled, my Maker understands and makes up for my deficits.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jennifer

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful post. The lessons that I hope my future children learn the most are those learned outdoors.

Elle Bee said...

Beautifully said!