Looking for Something?

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mother Nature's Destructive Forces

After a large wind storm this afternoon, I went outside to play with my kids. To my dismay, I found all my tomato plants had been flattened. I have never had this problem in the past and wonder if it was caused by the grow boxes we used for our tomatoes this year. The tomato cages weren't able to anchor themselves as deep as normal, and is it possible that the roots of the tomato plants can't dig as deep as well? Causing them to be flattened completely? Aghh...I just want to cry. 16 tomato plants flattened. I have done my best to get them back up, but some major damage has already been done.

Oh how I wish I had made Jennifer's Industrial Tomato Cages!!!

~marisa

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I am so sorry. Keep trying though, maybe putting lots more dirt and mulch around them. I thought I lost much of my garden last year to a fierce storm, but it came out OK. Best of luck.

Pamela said...

I'm dealing with the same thing right now with our garden. We also lost a tree and my canopy has been destroyed beyond repair. I need to go take pictures.

Doug said...

This happened to me last year. I went and bought some 4' metal fenceposts that you just stick in the ground. I put those in the cages and that kept them vertical for the rest of the year. Luckily yesterday's storm just ripped my furnace chimney off the roof but the garden is fine.

Tressa said...

In my garden I tethered the cages with string to nails I hammered into the sides--that way there wasn't much movement.

Mike said...

Great ideas, thank you!

Allen said...

We have consistently had problems with different cages. So this year what we did was stick metal T posts in the ground on 4 foot intervals and then we put American wire fence up on it to tie the tomatoes to. This past weekend I went and tied them up again. They are over 4 feet wide and hanging out from the fence about 2 feet on each side.

There is no falling over any more.