Looking for Something?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

PIZZA!

This article was written towards the end of the summer, but was kind of forgotten about, better late than never, right?
Pizza, homemade pizza, homemade vegetarian pizza. This is the thought process that went through my mind the other day on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Sunday is the day that we have the best meal around our house since we are usually rested and have more time to cook. Last Sunday was one of the best meals we have had in a long time. Here is the process I went through to make the pizza.

First I prepared the veggies. I grilled some fresh heirloom yellow squash and zucchini that I picked from our garden that same day. I sautéed some onions that we got from our CSA and I broiled some tomatoes from our garden in the oven. I set the veggies out on the table so everyone could make their own pizza. We also will use Marisa’s homemade tomato sauce and some fresh grated mozzarella.

Next I rolled out the dough. You can make your own pizza dough or buy some frozen pizza dough and thaw it if you’d like. We bought our dough from a local mom and pop pizza shop which is probably better than frozen but if you feel really energetic it’s probably best to make your own.

We don’t have the greatest oven so this is my preferred method to make pizza at home. I roll it out and then throw it on our electric skillet. I then cook it on both sides. This makes it nice and crispy thin with a nice chew and char on the crust. Then everyone throws on their preferred toppings.

Once the pizzas are assembled we throw them under the broiler in the oven until the cheese melts. The pizzas were awesome. The nice, crispy crust, fresh from the garden vegetables, and a flavorful homemade sauce all came together to make a wonderful fresh tasting dinner that even my kids loved. The picture of the finished product and the upskirt shot are making me hungry. I think we are having pizza again tomorrow.

~Michael

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I;ve never tried broiled tomatoes--they look good! Maybe we'll have pizza tonight. :)

Brandi said...

Ooh! Yum! Invite me over next time.

Anonymous said...

Now that looks delicious! Beautiful photography, too. Those photos could be straight from the pages of a kids' cooking book.