Looking for Something?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Great Outdoors-Turning Princesses Into Tomboys

My daughter Maya (7 years old) is was a girly girl.  She can spend a half hour in the mirror doing her hair, she loves dressing up, putting on make-up, and all other girlish activities.

Since we have moved here, I have seen a whole other side of Maya I haven't really seen before.

The other day Mason (5 years old) came running in the house smiling from ear to ear exclaiming that he had "peed on a tree". I followed up with, "Good job! Just make sure that you don't do that in the front yard, and be sure nobody else is around."

Maya came slowly waddling in the house just after with the bottom of her pants completely wet. After inquiring about what had happened, she explained that she didn't bend over far enough. I had to explain that I understand it isn't fair that boys get to pee outside, but she isn't allowed to!

***The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. It reminds me of 4 hours I spent in Saturday detention in the 8th grade, for doing something very similar, only I did it on school grounds.

~marisa

10 comments:

Rachel said...

When she gets older she's going to be so mad at you for putting this on the internet! LOL

Unknown said...

You are probably right!

Anonymous said...

She isn't allowed to but her brothers are? I think it's so sad when parents reinforce gender double-standards with their children. Telling both children to pee behind a tree would allow each of them to feel as care-free as children should while still offering them the opportunity to learn discretion and safety.

Dale Johnson said...

A good friend of mine - an old County Agent - once told me "A man ain't a man until he owns enough land that he can pee where he wants without the neighbors watching." Congratulations Micheal, you are now a man.

teekaroo said...

There is a double standard. Boys can pee without mooning the whole world. Not fair, but it's the way it is.

Brandi said...

I agree with teekaroo! Of course there is a double standard. Sheesh, what a silly comment, anon.

Maya is beautiful in that picture. Awesome story!

Mike said...

It's not as much a gender issue as it is a pee on the clothes issue. If Maya could pee on a tree without getting it all over her pants we would let her. Unfortunatley we live in a harsh society where urine smelling and urine stained clothes are frowned upon. We should change that, right anonymous?

Stephanie said...

LOVE that picture of Maya!

Kalena Michele said...

OMG that is the cutest story I've ever heard! Yes, the outdoors certainly has a way of taking girly girls somewhere else.

Holly said...

I am not sure which is more hilarious, Maya trying it, her mother trying it or the comment about gender stereotypes. I am glad your kids are loving the new homestead.