Looking for Something?

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kiva

Have you heard of Kiva

 Kiva's mission is to connect people, through lending, for the sake of alleviating poverty.

In a nut shell, it connects people like you and I to less fortunate entrepreneurs across the globe. The minimum amount one can loan is $25, which makes this so easy for just about anyone to loan their money.  You can read the bio on each entrepreneur, see how much their loan request is for, and see how much more they need. As soon as your loan is paid back, you can collect your $25, or you can turn around and reloan the money to someone else, this is what I choose to do. I'm now on my 4th loan.
  • People are by nature generous, and will help others if given the opportunity to do so in a transparent, accountable way.
  • The poor are highly motivated and can be very successful when given an opportunity.
  • By connecting people we can create relationships beyond financial transactions, and build a global community expressing support and encouragement of one another.
  • Dignity:   Kiva encourages partnership relationships as opposed to benefactor relationships. Partnership relationships are characterized by mutual dignity and respect.
  • Accountability:   Loans encourage more accountability than donations where repayment is not expected.
As of November 2009, Kiva has facilitated over $100 million in loans.

This month my 3rd loan was paid back in full which meant it was time for me to search the database for my next loan. It is always exciting to me to read the information on each entrepreneur and decide who I will loan money to next. I decided I would loan to Concepcion, who is 55 and wants to start saving for her old age. Because of economic conditions, she knows that she won't be able to rely on her family to support her and her husband. She hopes that she can help support her family as well as provide a better future for her grandchildren. 


Concepcion never looses hope that one day her family will be out from under the umbrella of poverty. She raises pigs, and the loan she is going to receive will help make the operation larger.

5 comments:

Lollie said...

Wow! I've never heard of this. Thank you. Going to check it out:)

Anonymous said...

I have heard of this, but was hesitant. I'm glad to hear you've had a positive experience and I will look into it. Its amazing to me that what $25 can do for a family in some parts of the world.

Thanks for sharing

Sandy

Terri W said...

I'll add my positive Kiva experience too. I gave a $25 loan, which as paid back in full so I reloaned it to another needed business-person. So far, that loan has been repaid right on time.

When it's paid, that money will go right back to another venture.

Vanalee said...

Kiva is my favorite place to spend my money. I actually think in terms of Kiva loans. For example just this week I was thinking of buying a new kitchen scale because it was on sale and mine is a few years old. As I looked at it I thought,"I don't need it, it's two Kiva loans!" I do it all the time. Now all I need is a Kiva wallet to remind me every time I spend money. My poor kids even get Kiva gift certificates for Christmas and birthdays. My granddaughter Caitlyn loves them so when I get a loan paid back I use it to give her a gift certificate. My goal is for her to have enough loans so that she gets $25 back every month. Kiva won't end poverty but it is a really great way to start!

Unknown said...

Vanalee,

What an inspiration you are!!!