Kiva's mission is to connect people, through lending, for the sake of alleviating poverty.
In a nut shell, it connects people like you and I to less fortunate entrepreneurs across the globe. The minimum amount one can loan is $25, which makes this so easy for just about anyone to loan their money. You can read the bio on each entrepreneur, see how much their loan request is for, and see how much more they need. As soon as your loan is paid back, you can collect your $25, or you can turn around and reloan the money to someone else, this is what I choose to do. I'm now on my 4th loan.
- People are by nature generous, and will help others if given the opportunity to do so in a transparent, accountable way.
- The poor are highly motivated and can be very successful when given an opportunity.
- By connecting people we can create relationships beyond financial transactions, and build a global community expressing support and encouragement of one another.
- Dignity: Kiva encourages partnership relationships as opposed to benefactor relationships. Partnership relationships are characterized by mutual dignity and respect.
- Accountability: Loans encourage more accountability than donations where repayment is not expected.
Concepcion never looses hope that one day her family will be out from under the umbrella of poverty. She raises pigs, and the loan she is going to receive will help make the operation larger.