Looking for Something?

Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer Lovin

Summer will officially begin in two days and her fruits are beginning to ripen. Eating in season is always a good idea but during the summer it's a pleasure. Tomatoes, strawberries, corn, cucumbers, herbs, squash, and watermelon - the list is endless of all of the wonderful things mother nature has to offer. We are already eating strawberries three meals a day - going through several pounds a week. My taste-buds are tingling in anticipation of all of the wonderful foods I am going to eat in the coming weeks and months...

4 comments:

Suz said...

I love the picture! Mexico feels like summer all year round. This country is over-flowing with fresh produce - it is unbelievably cheep and fresh! I never knew what fresh avacado tasted like before. The maid next door has a real green thumb. she saves seeds from fruits, and veggies, sticks them in the ground, waters them and has new produce. She gave me some of her tomato plants, we planted them, but matilda stepped on them.
So, are you using your chickens for eggs or are you going to mutilate them?

megan said...

We are only collecting eggs from the hens. Dale is our only contributor that has raised broilers for now. We are all anxious to have chicken in the freezer but not to raise/kill it!

Mexico sounds amazing. What DOES fresh avocado taste like!? You should take some pictures and send them to us!

Jennifer said...

Ahh, I love the heart in the middle.

ChristyACB said...

Oh yes, summer is a joy. Despite the wicked heat and humidity here, the food I get from my yard makes it worth it. Right now I've got a windowsill of gems just waiting for me to enjoy...Black Krim and Cherokee Purple, Constoluto Genovese...ahh. Summer is a tomato!