Looking for Something?

Monday, June 8, 2009

My new chicken coop!


For my 30th birthday I got a new chicken coop! If you didn't know it yet, at our new place we have no fenced-in yard so I thought chickens were not going to be an option this year. But I just couldn't stand living without some hens so I looked around and came up with an option. I found this coop on the local classifieds and bought it. Knowing we can't have free range hens at this place I decided to only have two hens so that this coop would be roomy enough for keeping them cooped up. We are also going to build it up on stilts and put a run underneath so that the ladies have somewhere to take dirt baths and scratch around. I'm so excited. Isn't it cute?

If you're in my area, you can get one from this same guy. His name is Aaron and he's building these as a side job. They come unfinished and are fully customizable. When I was picking mine up I saw a beautiful run he had added to another woman's coop. Since the economy is slow it's helping out his family and ours! What a great idea. You can contact him @ 801-756-2716.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool! Your coop is so cute.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome and adorable chicken coop!! We don't have chickens yet, but hope to one day. Too bad we live on the other side of the country from you, or I'd be calling up Aaron for a coop of our own!

admin said...

Excellent! I love reading about chickens, can't wait for more updates.

Rach said...

totally awesome. I wish I could get someone in my area to make something like that. SO COOL. Maybe my husband could build it. That would be so fun.

Dale Johnson said...

Congratulations!

Little Ant said...

Very cute. With a nice little run to add to it your chicks will be happy as can be.

Kate and Crew said...

Cute coop!!!

How do you get in and rake out all the chicken goop? And does it have a lot of ventilation? Ventilation is the key to having happy chickens and a not-too-stinky coop.... and being able to rake out the poo helps too.

Can't wait to see it with a run underneath!

My chickens are sooooo stinky and gross this time of year because we can't keep up with the heat and rain. It's so hard to keep things dry and clean and I only have three!

megan said...

The coop is a lot lighter than it looks so I'll be lifting one end to rake it out. As for ventilation - the whole top is open so they can get some fresh air. Which you are right - that is really important.

Anonymous said...

That is adorable! It reminds me of the little red schoolhouse in the small farming town of Fillmore here in California! Now you just need a rooster weather vane for one top.