Looking for Something?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Name that Hen

Hey everyone - I need your help! This is my 7 week old pullet(young female chicken) that I still haven't figured out a name for. We have named our other babies but still couldn't come up with any fitting for her. Which is bad because I have to say things like, "Come here, you!" instead of something cute so I'm not bonding with her as much as the others. So I thought I could turn to you guys for help!

This little lady is a Black Langshan and will be quite tall for a chicken - like to your knees! Langshans are a rare heirloom breed originally from China that lay dark brown eggs. They have feathers around their feet and are said to be calm and self-possessed. She will eventually look something like this:
Her breed has a pretty classic look and maybe that's why it's been hard for me to choose a name. So tell me your name idea(s) and why you think it fits my little hen. I'm open to all suggestions whether it has to do with what she looks like or just because it's a cute name for a chicken! After a week I'll look at all of the suggestions and pick my favorite. Now get naming!

~Megan

16 comments:

sarah said...

Per Dr. Seuss' "The Tooth Book," I suggested Hilda.

RightHahn said...

I like Zylla (Zila, Zillah) - it's Hebrew for shadow...which I think is befitting her beautiful dark feathers.

Anonymous said...

I vote "Cordon Bleu" - matt

Anonymous said...

I like Frances "Frannie" or Beatrix "Trixie". Both can be formal or a cute nickname. Good luck... She is a cutie.

Jody said...

I love your blog. So much great information and very inspiring. This is so much fun. Here are my ideas:
Since she's a hen…Hen-rietta or Attila the Hen.
Since she is black…Onyx or Inky.
Since she is tall… Altitude or Lanky.
Since she has no name…Anonymous.
Have fun naming such a beautiful bird!

Kathy said...

Well - i guess it sounds evil, b/c she is an evil character, heh - but i would name her Malificent. if you don't like that about - i think she looks like a Betty. :)

Jennifer said...

Henoir -- rhymes with "ten car" -- as homage to impressionist painter Renoir. Noir is black in French.

Stephanie said...

For some reason the first name that came to mind when I saw her was Veronica.

brooklyn said...

dartha.

Anonymous said...

Gertrude?

Unknown said...

How about "Olive Oil" like from Popeye. She was really tall with dark hair, you could call her Olive for short.

Tea Rose said...

She looks just like the stone Snowflake Obsidian. So I would say Snowflake or Obsidian would be nice.

http://www.isis-crystals.com/pages/images/obsidian_snowflake_tumble_0.jpg

m. said...

scarlett.

like from gone with the wind. she has long dark hair & that little hen looks kind of snooty & prideful. in a good way...

Elaine said...

I think she looks like a "Raven"

Carlie said...

At first glance I felt "Madge" coming on. I do like Malificent as suggested by Kathy. But Madge is much more blue collar!

Chelseapratt said...

I like the name Nugget!from emme