Looking for Something?

Loading...

Friday, April 22, 2011

Outdoor Poetry


by Michael

Here is one of my favorite poems that describes the beauty and simplicity of the outdoors. It describes how I feel when I sit outside in the summer, with a growing garden, and the sounds of chickens clucking in the background.

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

Share your favorite outdoor garden poem with us in the comments section

~Michael~

4 comments:

Julie said...

Wendell Berry is my hero!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

that is beautiful and i sooo needed to read that today! thank you!!

Alexis E. said...

I Heard a Bird Sing
Oliver Herford

"I heard a bird sing
In the night of December
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.
"We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,"
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December."

marisa said...

Alexis, I love that.