Looking for Something?

Friday, April 22, 2011

Outdoor Poetry


by Michael

Here is one of my favorite poems that describes the beauty and simplicity of the outdoors. It describes how I feel when I sit outside in the summer, with a growing garden, and the sounds of chickens clucking in the background.

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

Share your favorite outdoor garden poem with us in the comments section

~Michael~

4 comments:

Julie said...

Wendell Berry is my hero!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

that is beautiful and i sooo needed to read that today! thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I Heard a Bird Sing
Oliver Herford

"I heard a bird sing
In the night of December
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.
"We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,"
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December."

Unknown said...

Alexis, I love that.