Looking for Something?

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Great Pumpkin

I, like Linus from The Peanuts, would be willing to sit in the pumpkin patch waiting for The Great Pumpkin to arrive for a very long time. That is because I love pumpkins. I love their colors, their taste, their shapes. Maybe it's because they remind me of my favorite season - autumn. And this year we are growing our own pumpkins and I couldn't be more excited. Here are our first two pumpkin babies. Yesterday they were the size of a lemon - today an apple - what growers!

My pumpkins want to spread out and cover a large area but because I am square foot gardening they are growing up. Everyone that sees them asks, a little perplexed, "Will they be able to hang on when they get bigger?" And even though this is my first time I'm pretty sure they will. At least that's what Mel Bartholomew has promised! And I promise to keep you updated!

Here are some fun facts about the pumpkin:

The pumpkin is the state fruit of New Hampshire.

Pumpkins that are still small and green may be eaten in the same way as squash or zucchini!

Pumpkins originated in North America. The oldest evidence of pumpkin-related seeds dating between 7000 and 5500 B.C., were found in Mexico.

In September 2007, Joe Jutras (of Rhode Island) obtained the title of world’s largest pumpkin with a cream-colored, 1,689-pound (766.12-kilogram) fruit. He is currently said to be working on producing a giant orange pumpkin, as orange pumpkins tend to be smaller and have thinner shells but are more desirable in appearance.

5 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

How cute! I wish I would have read more, this is my first year with pumpkins in my little semi-square foot garden and just one plant is spreading out everywhere!

Saren said...

Your pumpkins will most definitely hang on! Last year my husband built an 8' A-frame for the pumpkins. I had to train them into the twine I weaved but it worked. We got 20+ sugar pumpkins last year.

This year we have set the same A-frame over pumpkins, loufas & melons!

Jennifer said...

I grew a 45-pound squash vertically last year, if that gives hope! Plus, yours will be perfectly round.

Winnie, it may not be too late to train your vines upward. Have fun.

Rach said...

I've always wanted to grow pumpkins...but I am unsure about a Hawaii Climate...any thoughts on that?

rachel
laiebennetts@gmail.com

megan said...

Rach - I'm not sure about your soil conditions but you should totally be able to grow pumpkins there!