- Will this product help or hurt the earthworms?
- Will it stimulate life and health?
When we use synthetic fertilizers and toxic chemicals we deplete the soil of helpful organisms and hummus. The soil in turn becomes less productive, and more prone to insects and disease. In contrast, every time organic fertilizers are applied the soil grows better and better, healthier and healthier - forever. Healthy soil produces healthy plants, and healthy plants resist disease and don't attract insect pests.
Up until I read this book I added miracle grow to just about anything. But I am a changed woman! Unable to see the error in his ways, my husband happens to be the "ortho-max diazinon" king. (Not really but he loves his synthetic fertilizers and pesticides because of the instant results.) Eeek! but I think this book will make a convert out of him.
I can't re-write his book (even though it would be my pleasure) but here are some fantastic highlights:
- Before WWII manure was the primary fertilizer and sulfur, tobacco, and good bugs were the primary pest controls.
- With more money spent today on pesticides than ever before, about one-third of all food crops are still lost to pest insects. That's the same percentage as before the pesticides became available.
- For his recipes of organic concoctions and compost follow these links.
Read Garrett's work, and you will be so fully educated on the organic way it will feel like common sense.