Looking for Something?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Where To Buy Heirloom Seeds

We get a lot of questions about where to buy heirloom seeds. We have bought from a few suppliers online. In addition, I have heard a lot of positive things about the suppliers listed below. We are not affiliated or compensated by any of these sites.

Seed Savers Exchange:We have ordered a lot of seeds from this site and are big fans. According to their site, ther mission is to "conserve and promote America's culturally diverse but endangered food crop heritage for future generations by collecting, growing, and sharing heirloom seeds and plants."

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds: We have been very happy with our orders from Baker Creek. They say that they "carry one of the largest selections of seeds from the 19th century, including many Asian and European varieties. The company has become a tool to promote and preserve our agricultural and culinary heritage." I like there variety and their back story as a family business.

Johnny's Selected Seeds: Although we haven't ordered from them we have heard a lot of good things. They have an organic and an heirloom section. If you want to harvest seeds make sure you look for heirloom varieties.

High Mowing Organic Seeds: This company sounds intriguing as they say that all of their heirlooms are organic.

Territorial Seed Company: Established in 1979, they seem to have a lot of variety.


Another suggestion is to find a local gardening store to see if they carry heirloom seeds. There is a company called IFA here in Utah and they already have displays of heirlooms that they say have been proven to grow well in our environment.I like the idea of going to a local company if you can.

What have I missed? What other places would you recommend?


~Michael~

6 comments:

CrankyPuppy said...

Landreth Seed Company. It's the oldest seed company in the United States - George Washington even got his seeds from Landreth! And their catalog is filled with old seed advertisements and is absolutely gorgeous. I mean, frame it and put it on the wall gorgeous. Their website is http://www.landrethseeds.com.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this information. I have been looking to purchase seeds. It's nearly time to start prepping the gardens. My neighborhood does communal farming. We each plant various crops, and we harvest them and store them in our farm sheds. We share the bounty. I will be sharing this with my neighbors

Mike said...

Cranky Puppy: Thanks for the suggestion. I have had a few suggestions in Google+ for Landreth as well. I'm excited to order a catalog.

Joan: Your community garden sounds amazing. I love the idea of everyone working together. I would love to hear how it got started.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your amazing post with sound information.So take a good impression while buy seeds online
at www.heirloomseedbanks.com

Unknown said...

Using natural hybrid & non hybrid seeds with advantages are more relevant in various fields. I have so many interests to know about the heirloom seeds with features then suggest me. If you want to buy heirloom seeds with various benefits then have touch on it.

Unknown said...

Heirloom seed bank is more beneficially use.I need the type of hybrid & non hybrid seeds with usage so please suggest me. If you want to take the varieties of heirloom seeds for sale then have touch on it.