Looking for Something?

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

When Life Gives You Apples

When life gives you apples, make applesauce!

I recently bought 2 bushels of apples from a local farmer.  Do you know how many pounds that is? It's about 100 pounds of apples!!! I thought it would be a really fun project to tackle with the kids and we set up an assembly line. Mason cut the apples in half and passed them to Maya. Maya would cut the core out and pass it to me. I peeled them and passed them to little Madelyn. Madelyn would throw them in lemon water to keep them from browning. Everyone was in charge of chowing down on the apple peels.

Next, we had to boil the apples to make them soft.

After that it was into my handy dandy Blendtec.

Then, into the canning bottles to be processed. 

It took about 4 hours and we barely made a dent in our 100 lbs of apples. My feet were swollen and I was exhausted and overwhelmed thinking about processing the rest of the apples! 

Luckily, a friend came to my rescue and let me borrow her MAGIC applesauce maker! It was amazing! It was so quick and easy that I was wishing I had more apples to process.

With this magic device, we just boiled the apples and threw them in, cranked the lever and out came the apples sauce. Then we put them in the canning bottles to be processed. Voila! 5x's the apples in about the same amount of time.

The Magic Machine! Food Strainer and Sauce Maker
And my studly little Mason making applesauce by himself. 

I have been learning lately that I need to start working "SMARTER" not "HARDER" 
Do a bit of research and asking around next time and find out the best ways to can your own food!

~Marisa

6 comments:

daisy g said...

So nice to have friends who have the right equipment! Great hearing from you again. Blessings...

Jennifer said...

Yay! I like the idea of working smarter, not harder. That kind of strainer is indeed magical.

David said...



Marisa, there you are. It's been awhile since we have heard from the backyard farmers. So glad to hear from you. Yes, it is the season for apple processing. I don't have apple trees because if I want apples I just go to one of the local orchards. We have several apple growers in my area. I haven't taken on the task of preserving 100 pounds of apple sauce but if I ever do, I'll keep your little machine in mind. My garden here in Nebraska didn't fair well this year because of all the extreme weather and an over abundance of rainfall. The gardens here are pretty much done and put to bed for the winter. My thoughts are toward next year's planning with a built in plan B and C. I got caught with no plan C and it eliminated much of the gardening for this year. If it isn't the wild life issues that get to the garden then it's extreme weather conditions. All I can say is that I'm sure glad I'm not a pioneer and have to live on what I grew this year. I'd be pretty skinny by spring .... well maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. :-)

Have a great apple sauce preserving day.

Proverbs Thirty One Woman said...

Hey! A new post! Yay :)

Unknown said...

This was so fun to see that we still have friends out there! Love you all, thanks for checking in!

~marisa

Not That Kind Of Farmer said...

Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information.